Sunday, October 31, 2010

And We're Back!

After spending nearly the entire month of October in Ohio, we finally made it back to Fort Bragg last night.  It was a nice long trip and being back here just feels strange.  Even with Gunnar and the kids here I am acutely aware every moment of the day that this is not where I want to be.  My family is far away and it makes me sad and grumpy.  I usually cry from Columbus to at least the West Virginia border, but I tried my best to keep it together since Gunnar was with us. 

We had about three and a half weeks in Ohio this time, spending most of it at my parents house and some at Gunnar's parents in Mingo Junction, Ohio.  We did a ton of fun things!  We saw my favorite bar band, took the kids Trick-or-Treating, ate the worlds greatest cheeseburgers, and spent lots of time with family.  Of course there are a dozen things I can think of off the top of my head that we didn't get to do.  People we didn't get to see, ice cream I never got around to eating.  Oh yeah, I turned 31 (gasp!) somewhere in there too and got to celebrate with everyone I love.

All in all it was a really great trip.  And although we left freezing cold Ohio weather to come to a beautiful mild North Carolina, I'm still more than a little sad to be here.  I'm already trying to think up how we're going to arrange our Thanksgiving traveling.  Most likely, Gunnar will only have a 4 day weekend, which complicates things tremendously.  I am still trying to get used to traveling on someone else's schedule, instead of just my own.  It's possible that we won't make it up north at all and man, that makes me grumpy just thinking about it. 

Gunnar goes back to work tomorrow.  I'm interested to see if they come up with anything for him to do besides stand/sit around all day till it's time to go home.  He still has a few weeks to wait for his CAT scan and x-rays for the possible stress fracture in his foot.  Only in the Army do they wait 2 months to find out the severity of your brain injury and broken bones.  Grrrr!

I guess the only thing I'm really looking forward to right now is the military ball that's coming up in a few weeks.  I've got a dress, and can't wait to wear it!  Gunnar will be all fancy in his Class A's and it sounds like it might actually be a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment