Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fayetteville - Still Not My Favorite Place on Earth

One of my biggest fears about moving to an Army base was the safety issue.  I don't like to be all gloom and doom about humankind, or maybe I watch too much CSI, but there are some obvious things to worry about around here.  This is a place with over 5,000 homes for the families of soldiers and clearly in a time of war, many of those homes are man-less.  (I know, I know, women deploy too but that's not what I'm talking about here.)  It seems to be that it's an obvious fact that there is a whole heck of a lot of women home alone a lot of the time.  I'm not a paranoid person by nature but I think I've mentioned before I really don't like living alone (with kids!) in a place that's still strange.

And then my fears are realized when it's all over the news there is a serial rapist making attacks in the area.  Great.  That's just great.  The vast majority of the attacks (so far there's been 9 - yikes) have happened off post, in the Fayetteville area, but he did manage to get on base and attack a woman here too.  If I had issues sleeping at night before, they just got worse!!  This little bit of info I've decided to not share with Gunnar till he comes home.  I know he'd be worried sick about something happening to his family and he really doesn't need that stress when he's got enough going on over there.   I think I'm going to look into some self defense classes on post and see if there's anything available.  I'm hoping this house is pretty sturdy and the doors and locks are not the usual apartment grade crap.  But you can believe they'll all be locked as well as can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment