Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Comms Blackout

Occasionally Gunnar's unit has a comms (communication) blackout.  That means that they shut down any and all forms of communication in and out of their outpost.  Usually comms blackouts happen after some really heavy fighting, or if a soldier has been injured and family members need to be notified.  I think there's some security reasons too.  I don't understand very well what exactly they are protecting.  I think it has a lot to do with making sure bad guys are listening to their conversations etc.  I'm going to try to get some better information on the subject.

Fighting has been crazy intense over there lately.  It's usually between 120 and 130 deg. F over there.  I am always complaining about North Carolina heat and then remind myself to shut up.  It's not like I have to carry 100 pounds of gear and walk for 6 miles in it.  I can't even imagine what that's like.  It's amazing that people live there in the first place.  Aside from being completely overheated, and because of it, very grumpy, Gunnar is doing just fine. 

I'm not sure exactly when he's coming home.  We still have a few months to go and I wish I could get something more specific.  I don't even really need to know the day.  Just the month or week would be outstanding.

It's really hard to support the war there in general.  I understand that the point is to eradicate the Taliban, so they will no longer have control over the country, and to help make Afghanistan a self-sufficient country.  I do support my husband 100% and I want him to do whatever he needs to in order to come home to us safely.  I have mostly feelings of disdain when I read articles or hear him talk about what he sees there.  It's a crappy place.  Gunnar posted this photo today though and I can't describe how it made me feel.


Isn't that awful?  It makes me so desperately sad.  Maybe we do need to be there so women can be treated with some dignity.  Can you even imagine this being your life?  The oppression and despair hit me to my very core.  It hasn't always been like this there.  I was in high school when the Taliban took over the government there.

I don't know how our military is going to fix the problems in Afghanistan.  I think it's going to take a very, very long time to do it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment